PM Insights: Steps & Timing to Prepare for your Office Relocation
Your lease is signed and executed, the design has been approved both internally and by your landlord, permits have been obtained (or at least have been filed) and your contractors have been selected. Congratulations – now you can start to get ready for your office move!
With construction schedules typically ranging from 12-16 weeks, we advise to keep time on your side by planning early in order to execute the logistics of your relocation. Assuming that the items mentioned previously have been met, being proactive and communicative will help minimize any disruptions to your day-to-day business activities while also avoiding any potential fees.
The following process steps and timing can help keep you organized to reduce and minimize the stresses of moving.
- Utilities: Days After Lease Execution
- Update/Change Service Providers
- Update/Change Service Providers
- Seat Assignments: As Soon as the Design is Approved
- Assign names to each office & workstation
- Enable the planning for relocating personnel
- Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment: Within 2 Weeks of the Design Approval
- Order items (Lead time can take 8-12 weeks)
- Determine scope of needs
- Identify opportunities to reuse existing equipment
- Order additional equipment as needed
- IT / Internet / Phone / Security: At Least 3 Months Prior to Move
- Coordinate the transfer of phone service and equipment with your IT Support Consultant
- Request Internet Service: The earlier the better as cancellations and rescheduling of appointments may occur.
- Security - Coordinate installation of:
- Access Control System(s)
- Video Surveillance
- Move Vendor Bid: At Least 2-3 Months Prior to Move
- Submit RFPs to Move Vendors
- Schedule Walkthroughs of Current and New Space
- Review & Approve Scope & Pricing
- Move Planning: At Least 6 Weeks Prior to Move
- Set Move-Day / Schedule Movers
- Establish Internal Move - Captain & Move-Committee (Usually One or More Persons / HR Personnel / Managers)
- Schedule Ongoing Status Meetings with Move Team
- Provide Internal Communications with Packing & Move Instructions:
- Periodic Communications
- Identify Hard Dates & Timing for Packing/Office Closure
- Set Date/Time for Employee Occupancy
- Once You Know your Move Date, Employees can be Advised to:
- Promote the Move via External/Internal Communications
- Clients / Vendors / Professional Service Providers, etc.
- Update Stationery / Business Cards / Marketing Materials
- Google Maps - Online Location/Presence
- Packing Instructions: At Least 2 weeks Prior to Move
To make packing and moving easier, and to reduce unnecessary delays, the Move Captain and Committee will advise and inform on the following items pre & post-move:
- Moving bins and cartons
- Personal items
- Computers, Telephone and IT Equipment
- Office Furniture & Bookcases
- Files and Cabinets
- Unpacking and Post-Move Setup
While moving day may seem like the last actionable phase in a Relocation & Project Management Process, occupiers should be organized and prepared as soon as a new lease is executed.
As with all of our services, Cresa can help customize our Project Management process to your specific needs. Our team has the expertise to manage specific requirements for space planning, moving, and reporting. At Cresa, Project Management is an integrated service that interacts with our Consulting Group, Transaction Management and Facilities Management teams to execute each assignment. This coordination ensures your space is strategically conceived, efficiently designed and executed by the project team to balance quality, cost and timely performance.
For more information, please contact: