We're looking for a talented and passionate senior-level Communications Director to be based at the headquarters of our Life Sciences client located in Cambridge, MA. The Communications Director will co-develop and execute a communications strategy for the client’s U.S. Region, largely focused on Massachusetts, and provide leadership communications support to the Head of the U.S. Region. The role will largely focus on internal communications as well as employee engagement, specifically the delivery of a future real estate and workplace strategy over the next three years.
The Communications Director will also supervise a Communications Specialist, who is responsible for managing and executing the communications plan for the U.S. Region and day-to-day facilities communications. With the support of the Communications Specialist, the Communications Director will oversee the communications strategy and planning for the U.S. Region.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to the link below. PDFs only and under 10MB.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Internal Executive and Employee Communications:
- Under the leadership of the Head of the U.S. Region and as the Communications partner to program leads of a U.S. real estate and workplace strategy, develop, and execute the internal communications strategy and plan, aligned with the client’s mission and culture.
- Partner with the communications leads for human resources and data, digital & technology to ensure message consistency and harmonized delivery.
- Collaborate with the global internal communications, functional communications leads, as well as external communications on external-facing messages as needed, including media advisories and releases.
- Develop creative/interactive ways to inform and engage employees throughout the duration of the project, using and assessing existing channels.
- Leverage internal digital communications tools to promote projects and encourage feedback.
- Write, edit, and design communications, including leadership updates, email messages, PowerPoint presentations, internal social media posts, internal newsletter articles, and messages for digital displays.
- Engage and manage vendors to produce videos and graphic material to support the execution of the communications strategy.
- Provide communications strategy and writing support to the Head of the U.S. Region, including executive reports, presentations, and regional business updates.
Employee Engagement and Events Management:
- Manage all activities for internal events related to the client’s Massachusetts projects, such as ribbon-cutting ceremonies and building openings. Event management would include all pre-event, event, and post-event activities such as logistics, speaking programs, invitations, collaboration with project leads, event photography, and coverage of the event to distribute through multiple internal channels.
- Align with U.S. Communications to contribute to the central calendar and cadence for key communications or events related to projects.
Requirements and Qualifications
Experience, Skills, and Attributes
- Experience with change management communications preferred
- Excellent writing skills - able to distill complex, technical, and lengthy topics into simple, compelling communications
- Ability to quickly establish rapport with colleagues across the organization and get up to speed on organizational structure, culture, programs, policies, etc.
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work in teams and to partner and collaborate across functions
- Ability to generate creative approaches and solutions through knowledge of communication tools and techniques and channels
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail, and quality control
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills
- Proactive nature with refined people/team management skills
- Maintain a big-picture perspective; able to link programs, activities, and communications in ways that support a cohesive employee experience
- Advocate for employees to ensure messaging is accessible and relevant, and factors in their perspective
- Poise and a high degree of professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English, or a related field
- Minimum of five years in communications or equivalent experience with excellent writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills
- Communications experience in a PR agency or healthcare organization (pharmaceutical, biotechnology) is preferred
- Expertise in Microsoft Office, SharePoint, and PowerPoint. Graphic design experience is a plus
LocationA minimum of 2 – 3 days working onsite in Kendall square is required with flexibility to work remotely on the remaining days. Candidates must live within a reasonable commuting distance to Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Share job posting